What does the sea mean to me? Well first and foremost I find being near the sea relaxing and inspirational, however, I also find it intimidating. The pure expanse and depth of the ocean with its underwater inhabitants and potential for huge roaring waves, make it as frightening as it is wonderful; to me anyway.
I enjoy a relaxing ride on a catamaran, swimming in the waves by the shore and even holding on for dear life to a sea biscuit being pulled by a speed boat. When I look around me though, from some place in the sea’s midst, enjoying the gentle swaying motion and feelings of peacefulness; I am still aware of its power. A change in the weather, a major storm breaks out, and this beautiful body of water turns into a beast.
Even though the sea has caused many heart-wrenching tragedies, Tsunami, flooding and shipwrecks where many lives have been lost; we have to remind ourselves about the enormous amount of pleasure that this same “beast” gives us. Great waves for fearless surfers, beautiful underwater plants and creatures for scuba divers, fish to eat, waves for children to play in and a place where you can drift and sail to get away from it all. Not to mention how much of our planet’s history is sitting on its bed or preserved in its depths.
Let me leave you with this quote by John. F. Kennedy which really says it all.
“And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. “
If you would like to take part in this weeks challenge, click here for more information.
- weekly photo challenge – sea (mygulitypleasures.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Sea (scottseyephotos.wordpress.com)
- weekly photo challenge: sea (plaridel.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: SEA (eagerexplorer.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Sea Change (stephaniemartinglennon.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Sea (littlegirlstory.wordpress.com)
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Sea (canoecommunications.wordpress.com)
- The Challenges of Underwater Photography (hafizitamseascape.com)